- Do I need a Zoning Permit? – A permit is needed for any type of construction such as a house, addition, accessory building, fence, etc. The permit will serve as a prerequisite to obtaining a building permit issued by Gaston County.
- What type of business can I operate in the City of Mount Holly? – The type of business or “permitted use” varies depending upon the Zoning District in which it is to be located. Please see Article VI in the Zoning Ordinance.
- Can I operate a business out of my home? – Home Occupations are restricted to an office use only, with 25% maximum space allotted in the primary dwelling. Those that involve traffic to the home must receive approval from the Zoning Board of Adjustment. Please see Article VII, Note 3, in the Zoning Ordinance.
- Does the City enforce high grass regulations? – Yes, the maximum height for grass is twelve (12) inches. Violators will be notified by the city. Property owners are expected to maintain their yards in manner that is not to encourage snakes, rats and other vermin to inhabit the area.
- Does the City enforce junked or abandoned vehicles? – Yes. A person may be allowed one unlicensed vehicle but it must be located in the rear yard under a city approved cover. Any additional junked vehicles must be located in an accessory building.
- What regulations are enforced in the City’s Extraterritorial Jurisdiction (ETJ)? – Per State Statutes, the City can only enforce Zoning and Subdivision Regulations. All other ordinances are under Gaston County’s jurisdiction.
Here are some informative documents:
Zoning Ordinance (Currently being updated)
Strategic Vision Plan Documents Below: