Leaf burning is not allowed in Mount Holly. Leaf burning is allowed in unincorporated areas of Gaston Count. Open burning of any kind is only allowed when the following criteria are met:
- An open burn shall not be hazardous or objectionable due to smoke or odor emissions.
- Any open burn must be no less than 50 feet from any structure and provisions shall be made to prevent the fire from spreading from within 50 feet of any structure.
- Open burnings shall contain only landscape materials that have been produced on the property and not contain any material being burned for waste disposal purposes.
- Any open burn must be attended until the fire is extinguished.
- At least 1 portable fire extinguisher with a minimum of a 4-A rating , 2 portable extinguishers with a 2-A rating each or other approved on site fire extinguishing material such as dirt, sand, water barrel, garden hose, or water truck, shall be available for immediate utilization.
Please watch your fires carefully.