Utility Billing Rates
- A Mount Holly Utilities Department employee is responsible for the accurate reporting of meter readings each month, and the total gallons of water used per month is matched to the appropriate tier of the water and sewer rates.
- You will only be charged for the water/sewer base charge if you use less than 2,000 gallons per month. The base charge has two components:
- a fixed charge to recover the fixed costs associated with customer service, billing, and a portion of debt service
- a fixed fee to fund much-needed infrastructure investments, such as water line replacements
- Customers who use less than 2,000 gallons per month will start paying an additional $3.75 per month effective August 2021 (for July usage).
- Customers who use 5,000 gallons per month will start paying an additional $7.98 per month effective August 2021 (for July usage).
The new rate structure aligns Mount Holly’s rates with what it costs to serve our customers.
- The new rate structure creates revenue stability which helps ensure we meet requirements of the rating agencies and the Local Government Commission, which can also help us borrow debt at better interest rates.
- This additional revenue will continuously fund the infrastructure investments we need to make in water and sewer lines, pumps and tanks in an effort to ensure you continue to receive reliable and safe water service for years to come.
- The new structure more equitably distributes the costs of service over all customers.
- Mount Holly’s average bill is currently lower than the state average
- Even with these changes, it still costs pennies per gallon to have water delivered to your faucet, as compared to dollars for a gallon of bottled water.