The application process consists of a detailed and thorough background investigation, oral interview, written exercise and the completion of certain qualifications. It can take several days to a few weeks to complete the process.
In the application packet (access here), you will find information that needs to be completed before returning the application packet to the Human Resources Director at the City of Mount Holly Municipal Building.
There are several phases during the application process:
- Applicant will receive the application packet and, once completed, return it to the Human Resources Director at the City of Mount Holly Municipal Building.
- The application is reviewed first by the Human Resources Director and then forwarded to the Mount Holly Police Department Training and Recruitment Supervisor for further review.
- A records check of the applicant is conducted. This includes, but is not limited to, a criminal history check and a DMV license check.
- If the applicant is already certified by the State of North Carolina to be a law enforcement officer, the North Carolina Training & Standards Division will be contacted to see if the applicant is eligible for lateral transfer.
- After Phase # 1 is completed, eligible applicants will be contacted in reference to conducting an interview with the Oral Review Board. The Oral Review Board consists of various Mount Holly Law Enforcement Officers of varying rank and duties, and may also consist of certain civilian personnel. The interview consists of verbal questioning and a written exercise.
- After the interview and written exercise, the Oral Review Board will make recommendations to the Chief of Police for his/her review. The Chief of Police then informs the Training and Recruitment Supervisor as to which candidates should proceed to Phase # 3.
- At this point, a complete and thorough background investigation will be conducted on the eligible applicants. The results of the background investigation will be forwarded to the Chief of Police for further review.
- Based on the Chief of Police’s recommendation, eligible applicants will then be presented a Conditional Offer of Employment, at which time the eligible applicant becomes a candidate for employment by the City of Mount Holly and the Mount Holly Police Department.
- A psychological examination (unless waived by the Chief of Police) is then scheduled. Once the psychological evaluation results have been reviewed, the eligible applicant is scheduled for a medical examination and urinalysis drug screening.
- Upon completion of these examinations, the candidate will be taken for State and departmental firearms qualifications. The course of fire uses the standard BLET course of fire (using a B-27 NCJA target). The Mount Holly Police Department minimum qualifying score is 70% (both day and night handgun and day shotgun).
- Upon completion of the firearms qualifications, all relevant paperwork is sent to the North Carolina Training & Standards Division. Upon their approval, the candidate will be sworn (or affirmed) into office and begin his/her career with the City of Mount Holly and the Mount Holly Police Department.
- MHPD Application (access here)
- City of Mount Holly Application (access here)
- Personal History Statement (Form F-3) (signed and notarized)