Golf Cart Registration
At the August 26, 2019 City Council Work Session, the City Council discussed and approved a revision of the golf cart ordinance. Please note the following updates:
- Golf carts will now be allowed on non-residential streets as well as residential streets within the City limits. Under state law, golf carts are not just limited to City streets and can be operated on certain state-maintained roads. The revision to the ordinance removes the restriction to residential roads.
- Golf carts will now be allowed on certain roads that have a speed limit of 35 miles per hour or less (previously 25 miles per hour).
- Golf carts may not be operated on Highways 273, 27, or 16 and may only be operated on public roads that have been certified as golf cart roads.
- Golf carts may not be operated on the following streets or roadways regardless of the speed limit, except that golf carts may cross the below-listed streets/roadways perpendicularly (at a 90-degree angle) to gain access from an approved street/roadway to another approved street/roadway:
- Any portion of NC 273, including but not limited to Beatty Drive, South Main Street from the intersection of Rose Street to the intersection of Rankin Avenue
- Any portion of Highland Street, North Main from the intersection of East Charlotte Avenue to Mountain Island Road, and Mountain Island Highway to Lucia Riverbend Highway
- Any portion of NC 27
- Any portion of NC Highway 16
The Mount Holly Police Department requires golf cart registrants to complete a process for obtaining a golf cart permit: APPLY HERE
If you have any questions, please contact Sergeant Wes Monroe at firstname.lastname@example.org.