A Message from the Mayor
You have discovered a special place. The vibrant City of Mount Holly, North Carolina, my hometown, is nestled along the banks of the picturesque Catawba River. We are just 20 minutes from downtown Charlotte and yet a world away from the harried lifestyle of the big city.
I have had the privilege of serving as the Mayor of Mount Holly for four terms. During that time, our City Council has focused on several projects that have enhanced the features of our already-appealing small city:
- A ranking of #7 of 532 cities in North Carolina on the "Safest Cities in North Carolina 2018" list from the National Council for Home Safety and Security, among the other 8 counties that are part of the Metrolina Region
- Downtown's beautiful streetscape that pays tribute to and preserves the historical heritage of Mount Holly
- The Municipal Complex and Grand Hall, located in one of Mount Holly's large historic mills, is a prime example of our desire to move forward while honoring our city's rich history. The complex is home to all of the city's departments and features a Grand Hall to host community events
- An expansive greenway system that will link downtown to this area's prime outdoor recreation destination, the Catawba River. Mount Holly has acquired 220 verdant acres along the river stretching from downtown to the Mountain Island Dam. The property, under a conservation easement, will eventually be home to a total of eight miles of scenic greenways. It will also connect to Tuckaseege Park, which has experienced an extensive renovation and expansion.
- Tuckaseege Park includes a trail system extending all the way to the river, a dog park, a skateboard park, a playground area, and picnic shelters, as well as ball fields and open common space. The park is conveniently located across the river from the US National Whitewater Center.
The Mount Holly City Council has also spent the last year working on an updated strategic plan and visioning process for our city. This will ensure that future residential and commercial development in and around our city will meet the high standards of those who live, work, and play here.
We are proud of our joint ventures with the Mount Holly Community Development Foundation, a nonprofit organization made up of residents and local business owners. The foundation is a vital component in our overall plan to gracefully fill an eclectic, unique niche in the Charlotte Metro region. Together, we are making the vision we share for Mount Holly a reality. We are partners in the development and creation of our greenway system. The foundation has also spawned the Mount Holly Community Garden and Mount Holly Farmer's Market and is incubating and promoting the Arts through its other committees.
Join us for a stroll down Mount Holly's brick-lined sidewalks, bike over to enjoy one of the last remaining stretches of undeveloped, natural riverbank on the Catawba, or attend one of our Summer Concert Series, Food Truck Fridays, or annual fireworks display in our historic downtown district. Visit our restaurants and shops, beautiful parks, and budding art community that features a brand-new art gallery.
Come see what we have in our vibrant and thriving community; it is truly something special!
Mayor Bryan Hough